Skip to content

National & Global News •

Jacksonville police officials reported that a girl was killed in an accidental shooting.

(Mirror Daily, United States) – Jacksonville police officials reported that a five-year-old girl was killed and a 4-year-old boy was wounded in an accidental shooting which took place on Saturday, at an apartment located at 702 North Lincoln Court.

Another child was in the apartment at the time the shooting took place. A suspect connected with the case has been taken into custody.

According to the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office, on Saturday, at approximately 1 pm, an accidental shooting took place in an apartment situated at Roosevelt Gardens. Three children were involved in the incident which resulted in the death of a 5-year-old girl. Another child was injured during the accidental shooting, but his wound was not life-threatening.

The events leading to the death of the 5-year-old girl began when Maurice Antonio Delay, a 34-year-old convicted sex offender, left a firearm in the apartment. According to the investigators, Delay has been dating the children’s mother for some time.

At the time the shooting occurred, the mother left the apartment for an unspecified amount of time in order to do some shopping. The authorities declared that another child was in the apartment when the incident took place, a 4-year-old boy.

As the 8-year-old boy was playing with the handgun, the weapon accidently went off, critically injuring his sister and the other boy who was behind her. When the boy saw that his sister was unresponsive, he went rushing to one of his neighbors and told him what happened.

Unfortunately, the paramedics who later arrived at the scene declared the girl dead and took the 4-year-old boy to the local hospital where he received medical treatment for minor injuries.

After questioning the 8-year-old boy about the incident, the authorities arrested 34-year-old Maurice Antonio Delay, the owner of the handgun. Delay was the boyfriend of the children’s mother and, according to the authorities, a convicted sex offender.
The man was taken into custody and charged with firearm possession by a convicted felon. A bail of $100,000 was posted in his name, and the man is scheduled to appear before court on Monday.

At this point, it’s unclear why the man left the firearm in the apartment or if the children’s mother had any notion about her boyfriend leaving a handgun unattended. Furthermore, the authorities have refused to disclose any information about the type of handgun used in the accidental shooting or the children’s identities.

Image Source: Wikimedia

Alpine’s police official declared that the boyfriend of Zuzu Verk has been arrested.

(Mirror Daily, United States) – Alpine’s police official declared on Saturday morning, via a Facebook post, that Robert Fabian, the 26-year-old boyfriend of Zuzu Verk, has been arrested in connection with the woman’s disappearance in October 2016.

Fabian has been charged with fabricating physical evidence and concealing a human body. The man was arrested a day after the authorities uncovered a shallow grave near Fabian’s Alpine residence.
On Friday, investigators uncovered what seemed to be a shallow grave in an Alpine area called Sunny Glenn.

According to the authorities, after digging up the site, they discovered a body in an advanced stage of decomposition. They’ve also declared that some the objects recovered from the makeshift grave indicate that the body might belong to 22-year-old Zuzu Verk, the young woman whom Fabian reported missing back in October. According to Fabian’s testimony, back in 2016, the man contacted the authorities, after not seeing Zuzu Werk for a couple of days. Although the law enforcement officers took Fabian’s testimony into account, they’ve continued to monitor the man’s movement. Fabian’s arrest came as a shock to his friends and family, who do not understand why the man is taken into custody considering that the body recovered from the West Texas shallow grave has not been identified. Jocelin Carrillo, Fabian’s sister, is the one who spearheads the man’s defense. Carrillo declared that right from the start, her brother had been considered a suspect, although there was no evidence to indicate that Fabian murdered and concealed Zuzu Verk’s body. However, the Alpine police officials believe that Fabian is far from being innocent. When asked about the reason they’ve made this arrest, the police declared that Fabian supplied false evidence. More specifically, some of the clues found in the West Texas shallow grave do no match Mr. Fabian’s testimony. Since the body has not yet been identified, the man was charged only with providing false physical evidence. It’s not yet clear if the man will also be charged with first-degree murder, taking into account that the authorities did not find any conclusive evidence which confirms that Fabian murdered Zuzu Verk. Serving a search warrant, the Alpine police officials searched the man’s house from top to bottom, but they did not find any incriminating evidence.

At the moment, the authorities are waiting for the coroner to identify the decomposing body found in the West Texas grave.

Image Source: Wikimedia

A Gaithersburg mother physically abused her daughter for refusing to brush her teeth.

(Mirror Daily, United States) – A Gaithersburg mother has been charged with first-degree child, first-degree assault, and possibly murder after authorities discovered that the woman physically abused her daughter for refusing to brush her teeth.

The 4-year-old girl was rushed to the hospital in critical condition but passed away later that day due to head trauma. Gaithersburg police officials declared that on Wednesday, 20-year-old Iris Hernandez-Rivas dialed 911 and told the authorities that she found her daughter lying unconscious in the bathtub. The woman also said that her daughter went to the bathroom at about 11 am in order to take a bath. Despite the fact that Hernandez-Rivas said that she called the emergency number 15 minutes later, the authorities later discovered that the woman waited for about an hour before calling for help. The four-year-old girl was discovered with her face down in the bathtub and was rushed to the hospital in critical condition. After carefully examining the young girl, the doctors found multiple bruises on her abdomen and determined that the girl had sustained severe head trauma. Due to the extent of her injuries, the girl was transferred to the Children’s National Medical Center in Washington DC. Unfortunately, the doctors from the Children’s Hospital were not able to stabilize the little girl, who passed away later that day. The authorities interviewed Hernandez-Rivas and asked about the bruises found on the girl’s abdomen. The woman admitted to getting irritated that day due to the girl’s strongheadedness and her refusal to brush her teeth when told to do so. As a result, the 20-year-old woman beat the little girl with a belt, and when she was down on the floor, Hernandez-Rivas kicked her in the stomach until she became unconscious. According to the authorities, the four-year-old girl sustained the head trauma after being kicked by the Gaithersburg mother. After the woman stopped kicking her, the girl desperately tried to get up. Instead, she fell on her back, and before hitting the group, her skull grazed the edge of the tub. The 20-year-old Gaithersburg mother has been taken into custody and charged with first-degree child abuse and first-degree assault. At the moment, the investigators are waiting for the medical examiners to establish the girl’s exact cause of death.

Depending on their assessment, the woman might also be charged with first-degree murder. It’s unclear, at the moment, if the woman hired an attorney.

Image Source: Pexels

A day care sign posted on a door rapidly became a smash hit on Facebook in just a few minutes.

(Mirror Daily, Unitd States) – A day care sign posted on a door rapidly became a smash hit on Facebook after only a couple of minutes. The photo of the day care sign was shared about 970,000 times since it was posted and it received approximately 940,000 likes and about that many comments. Because we live in a busy world where work doesn’t end when you leave the office, more and more parents are forced by circumstance to enroll their children in day care centers. Although the children are taken care of until their parents come to pick them up, they often lack the attention they deserve from their parents due to a mind-boggling reason – their parents can’t seem to unbury their faces from their mobile devices. Probably most of us continued to use our mobile devices outside of work. It’s understandable to want to finish your task before the week is over in order to enjoy a pleasant weekend. Sadly, the truth is that we sometimes care more about what happens on our Facebook account or at work, than about things that are more important such as family. A day care center for Texas saw that one more than one occasion, people would cross their threshold to pick up their kids, but were unable to pull their heads out of their phones. Troubled by this unhealthy trend, the day care center put up a rather unusual sign at the entrance, to serve as a reminder to parents who pay more attention to their phone than to their kids. The day care sign, printed on a plain piece of paper, was more than enough to stir some of the parents. Some of them felt shame and admitted to overusing the phone, while others became enraged, claiming that the sign is equally distasteful and disrespectful. The viral day care sign informs the visitor that the parents are coming to pick up their child. The next line, written in bold characters, asks the parents to get off their phone. After that, the sign goes on saying that there are many children who wish to show their projects to their parents, but they can’t seem to get their attention on the account that they can’t lose the phone.

The sign’s creators even gave an illustrative example – a little girl shouting out “Mommy” three times to draw her parent’s attention. As we’ve mentioned, many said that the sign is right, and we should ditch the phone when spending time with the kids, while others said that it is appalling and that the people running the day care service should show more respect considering that their salary comes out of their pockets.

Image Source: Pexels

Search parties looking for Jessica Runions have discovered a second body.

(Mirror Daily, United States) – Organized parties are searching for the missing Missouri woman Jessica Runions, have discovered another body near South Brighton and 53rd. The body discovered by the search party belongs to a 20-year-old male. Officials declared that the corpse was in an advanced state of decomposition and that the circumstances hinted of homicide.

As the search for Jessica Runions continues, the officials and volunteers uncover more and more gruesome facts. Even though the authorities have given up on finding the missing Missouri woman, her family has not.

Thus, every week, with the help of friends and other kind people, Jamie and her husband organize search parties in the hope of finding out what happened to the young woman. Last week, Runions’s father and several volunteers discovered the decomposing body of a 21-year-old male, whom the authorities believe to be missing since November 2016.

The body belongs to Brandon Herrings, and it was discovered in a creek situated at Lewis Road and 67th. Authorities have been unable to identify the second, but both cases are being treated as homicides. In addition, the police officials cannot rule out yet the possible connection between the two bodies and Jessica Runions, taking into account that the three individuals went missing around the same time.

According to Jessica’s family, the woman was declared missing back in September 2016. The woman was last seen leaving a house party, hosted by one of her friends. The woman was driving a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox at the time she vanished without a trace.

Eyewitnesses declared that the woman was last seen leaving the party with 28-year-old Kylr Yust. Initially, several state agencies, including the Murder Squad, KCPD volunteers, and K9 squads, investigated an abandoned golf course located near 163rd Street and I-49, but no clues were found.

On the 9th of September, the police officials discovered Jessica Runions’s car in a remote area. The vehicle has been deliberately burned. Mr. Yust, the man with whom Jessica was last seen was leaving the party, was later taken into custody and charged with vehicle arson. Yust was also the subject of police’s scrutiny several years ago, being investigated for the disappearance of Kara Kopetsky, a 17-year-old adolescent, who went missing in 2007.

For now, the Runions family continues to search for the missing Missouri woman with the help of friends and kind volunteers. If you have any information regarding Jessica Runion’s whereabouts, you are asked to contact immediately the TIPS Hotline or Kansas’s Missing Persons Unit.

Image source: Flickr

Virginia authorities have identified a new phone scam.

(Mirror Daily, United States) – According to the Virginia officials, a new phone scam has been discovered circulating the state. Called the ‘Can You Hear Me?’ scam, this new method is used by criminals in order to make people authorize extra charges on their phone bill, utility bill, and even on their credit cards. Authorities said that the purpose of the scam is to record a ‘Yes’ answer from the owner, which they will use later for a nefarious purpose.

The new phone scam identified by Virginia authorities is not entirely new since various Pennsylvania phone owners have reported received anonymous calls from individuals asking ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ questions over the past year.

According to state officials, the new phone scam tricks the owners into saying ‘Yes’ over the phone. The perpetrator records the answer, which he will later use for unauthorized operations. This scam can be used to charge the owner extra on his phone bill or utility bill and even to unlocked cloned credit cards.

Usually, the perpetrators will pose as official state agencies such as the Department of Motor Vehicles, the IRS, and even Social Security. In addition, the authorities said that the question asked over the phone can vary.

For example, some of the phone owners who got scammed reported being asked the following questions: ‘are you the homeowner?’, ‘are you the lady of the house?’, or ‘are the one paying all the household phone bill?’.

In general, the authorities said that all questions are formulated as to trick the owner into receiving a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answer. So, what can we do in order to protect ourselves against the new phone scam?

Susan Grant of the Consumer Federation of America said that the best defense is not answering the phone when someone outside your contact list calls you. However, if you do pick up the phone, try to answer the inquiry as vaguely as possible.

For example, if someone asks you something like ‘can you hear me?’ you should say something like ‘who are you and why do you want to know?’.

Grant also said that owners who believe they were the victim of a phone scam should immediately contact their carrier or utility agency and to check for any unauthorized charges. As for illegal credit card transactions, Grant said that it’s best to contact the Federal Trade Commission for disputing any unauthorized activity.

Image source: Pixabay

The facts surrounding the Emmett Till lynching case are still vague even after 61 years.

(Mirror Daily, United States) – Although 61 years have passed since Emmett Till, a 14-year-old adolescent from Chicago, Illinois was brutally murdered in a little Mississippian town, the details of his case are still vague.

While some of the witnesses who testified in court said that the adolescent assaulted the store clerk, there are many other who said that it was Till’s skin color that brought upon him the retribution of the clerk’s family members.

The reopening of Till’s lynching case coincides with the publishing of a book written by Timothy Tyson, a distinguished research scholar at the Duke University. The book, entitled The Blood of Emmett Till, tells the uncensored and unbiased story of how a 14-year-old adolescent from Chicago was brutally murdered and his reputation tarnished.

Tyson’s biographical book reveals a unique timeline, beginning with the teen’s departure from his home city, and ending with his open-casket funeral in August 1955. Despite the fact that more than 60 years have passed since Emmett Till’s premature death, the parties involved are still keeping true to their vows of silence.

As history reveals, the events leading to the teen’s death were set in motion the moment he stepped into Bryant’s grocery store, a little market from the Mississippian town of Money. According to several testimonies, when Emmett Till crossed the threshold of Bryant’s grocery store, he starting to casually flirt with Carolyn Bryant, who worked as a cashier at that time.

After Emmett Till had discovered that the woman was not interested in his remarks, he grabbed Carolyn’s hand in order to get her attention. Minutes later, the woman left the store and went to her vehicle so she could grab a handgun. By that time, Emmett Till left the store.

When Carolyn arrived home, she told her husband and her step-brother about the events that transpired under the store’s roof. Enraged by Till’s gesture, the two men sought out Emmett Till, kidnapped him off the streets, and took him to their house.

There, they’ve savagely beaten him and shot him in the head with a shotgun. To dispose of the body, the two men tied a 74-pound gin fan around the adolescent’s neck and threw him in the nearby Tallahatchie River.

Emmett’s body was discovered several days later by the authorities. The discovery of Emmet’s corpse market the beginning of a long and damaging trial, culminating with Emmett Till’s open-casket funeral in August 1955. Even though 60 years have passed since the boy was brutally murdered, Carolyn Bryant, who is now 83-year-old, still refuses to offer any details regarding what happened that day at the store.

Image source: Flickr

An abusive caretaker was recently arrested in Memorial Villages after insulting and beating a 93-year-old woman with dementia.

(Mirror Daily, United States) – An abusive caretaker from Memorial Villages, Houston has been taken into custody on Thursday by the local law enforcement authorities, after a footage recorded using a hidden camera revealed that she physically and verbally abused a 93-year-old patient with dementia.

The abusive caretaker was charged with injury to an elderly person, and, if proven guilty, will spend the next two to ten years behind bars.

The events leading to the arrest of 59-year-old Brenda Trahan Floyd began a few days before New Year’s Eve. Floyd’s employer, the 93-year-old woman’s son, discovered that her mother had suspicious bruises on her arms. Taking into account that his mother was diagnosed with dementia, his son initially believed that the bruising on her arms might have been the result of the woman falling.

However, the man became suspicious after he saw that the woman also had a bruise around her right eye. To see how the mysterious bruises appeared, the man decided to install a nanny camera in his mother’s living room, since the woman tends to spend most of her time sitting in her favorite chair and watching television.

And on New Year’s Eve, the man managed to discover the origin of his mother’s bruises. The footage from the nanny cam begins with the woman sitting in her chair and watching TV, while her pet dog waddles around the living room.

After a couple of minutes, Floyd, the abusive caretaker, enters the room, carrying a walking aide. She looks at the dog’s bowl near the woman’s armchair and starts to berate her for feeding the dog with human food. Shortly after, she slaps the woman’s neck and orders her to go to bed.

Reluctantly, the 93-year-old woman with dementia rises from her armchair and grabs her walking aide. The abusive caretaker kept slapping her neck before she could get to the walking aid. Before heading into the bedroom, the woman was hit again by Floyd, who kept asking her about why she’s feeding her dog with human food.

At one point, the elderly woman told Floyd that she did not do it. However, Floyd told her to keep quiet and slapped her again.

After reviewing the tape, the man called the authorities and went straight to his mother’s home where he told Floyd to vacate the premises, as her services were no longer required. Floyd got into her car and drove off.

The abusive caretaker was apprehended three days later after Memorial Villages’ Police Department received an anonymous tip from a person who said that a woman fitting Floyd’s description was in north Houston.

Floyd was taken into custody, and a bail of $5,000 was posted in her name. If she’s found guilty by the court, the abusive caretaker could spend two to ten years behind bars for elderly individual abuse, and a fine of $10,000.

Image source: Pixabay

Two student from Lady Lake were planning to stage a school shooting.

(Mirror Daily, United States) – Police officials from Florida declared that two teenage suspects were taken into custody for planning a school shooting. The law enforcement authorities were tipped off by some faculty members from The Villages Charter Middle School who heard rumors about two students planning to organize a mass shooting. The suspects were swiftly apprehended and firearms were discovered in their homes.

Florida law enforcement officials stated in a press interview that two students from Lady Lake were taken into custody on Thursday and charged with conspiracy to commit murder. The arrests were made after the authorities discovered that the two male students were planning on staging a mass shooting. Sumter County’s Sheriff’s Department revealed that the two suspects were inspired by the Columbine mass shooting incident.

The same institution declared that the authorities had been tipped off by several faculty members who were concerned about some rumors circulating among student. The initial investigations revealed that some of the students overheard two teenagers talking about staging a school shooting. Moreover, the investigators also uncovered that some of the students were warned to stay at home on the day of the shooting.

After receiving the tips, the law enforcement officers moved in and apprehended a 13-year-old student on the campus. During his police interview, the adolescent admitted planning a school shooting, and that he had an accomplice, a 14-year-old student.

His would-be partner in crime was arrested shortly after the teenager’s confession. The law enforcement authorities searched both of them but did not find any weapons that might be used to stage a mass shooting.

However, the authorities returned later that day to boys’ homes with a search warrant. According to Sumter County’s Sherriff’s Office, several firearms were discovered on premises, as well as detailed plans on how to commit the school shooting.

The investigation revealed that the two male adolescents were planning on committing the deed on the 27th of January, during one of their classes. The police revealed that they’ve minutely planned everything, including a system to signal the start of the shooting.

For the time being, the Florida officials increased police presence around the Villages Charter Middle School. As for the student, they are currently detained at the Department of Juvenile Justice, awaiting their trial.

Since this is an ongoing investigation, the authorities refused to reveal the boys’ names and more details about their school shooting plans.

Image source: PublicDomainPicture

A missing woman was found today wandering the streets of Los Angeles.

(Mirror Daily – United States) Laura Stacey, a 28-year-old woman from Los Angeles who was reported missing three days ago, was found this morning by law enforcement officers. According to the official police report, the missing woman was disoriented and disheveled. No further details regarding the woman’s condition or what happened to her were made available.

The events that led to the finding of 28-year-old Laura Stacey were set into motion three days ago when the woman did no return home. Stacey shares a flat with another person, who notified the police about her disappearance.

The initial investigation revealed that Stacey sought to pursue a career in arts and photography and, to this end, moved from Denver to Los Angeles. When Stacy’s parents heard that their daughter went missing, they boarded the first flight from Denver to Los Angeles and assisted the law enforcement officers in their search for the missing woman.

The woman’s roommate and mother declared during the police interview that the woman has an inquisitive mind and an adventurous spirit, and would often wander the streets of Los Angeles, more than likely searching for inspiration.

At the time she went missing, Laura Stacey was driving a black Acura. The investigators found the woman’s car approximately 15 miles from where they found her wondering. Furthermore, they’ve discovered that the woman was unable to contact anyone, since her mobile phone was found in Santa Clarita, more than 40 miles away. The device was found by a stranger in a park.

As for the missing woman, the authorities declared that it’s premature to tell what happened to her since the woman seems to be in a state of confusion. When they found her, Laura Stacey was disorientated and disheveled, as if she struggled with someone

The missing woman was taken to the Antelope Valley Hospital where she received medical care. At the moment, the authorities declared that they did not wish to disclose any details regarding Stacy’s case. However, they did point out that when the woman was found wandering the streets, she was uncooperative with the officers that engaged her.

At the moment, the police officials were not able to rule out that the missing woman might have been assaulted and possibly raped during her trip taking into account that the victim’s mobile phone was found more than 40 miles away from Stacey’s location.

We will provide you with an update if there are any developments in this case.

Image source: Pixabay

Subscribe to our Magazine, and enjoy exclusive benefits

Subscribe to the online magazine and enjoy exclusive benefits and premiums.

[wpforms id=”133″]