Skip to content

Surfacing Brands' Older Videos Is YouTube's Upper Hand Over Facebook – Mirror Daily

(Mirror Daily, United States) – A new report gives YouTube the upper hand when it comes to extended shelf life for marketers’ videos. This is no small achievement, especially with the fierce competition that goes on in the field of online video ad revenue.

Visible Measures, a video content advertising firm, said that sharing a new video on YouTube usually attracts views on older brand videos as well, something that cannot be said about sharing a new video on Facebook. Consequently, more people watch a lot more YouTube videos on the long term, the study claims.

According to the statistics released by Visible Measures, a brand’s new content accounts only for about 45 percent of their total views on YouTube; the remaining 55 percent are brought in by older videos uploaded to the brand’s YouTube channel.

By comparison, uploading a new video on Facebook drives in 95 percent of the brand’s total views, with only a small percentage left for the existing content. Brian Shin, CEO of Visible Measures, said the explanation is simple. While Facebook is discovery oriented, YouTube was built around searches and video suggestions, which means it’s easier to re-watch older content.

A large content portfolio such as the one boasted by YouTube couldn’t survive without the search capability, which is also responsible for the longer shelf life.

Mr. Shin explained that YouTube’s system of recommending videos – either from the same marketer or a related brand – is largely the reason why older content still gets a lot of view-time. Moreover, it was found that users are more inclined to check out a brand YouTube’s page is they’ve enjoyed one or more of their videos.

By contrast, Facebook is more of a labyrinth when it comes to users searching older video content uploaded by a certain brand. If a marketer’s video pops on their news feed and they watch it, the chances the user will go to that brand’s Facebook page are significantly lower.

However, Facebook is definitely now slacking behind for long, as it intends to challenge YouTube’s supremacy in the online video industry. Back in July, the company introduced the “Suggested Videos” feature, allowing users to see related content if they watch a video in their news feed.

There’s a time-frame where Facebook is most valuable for marketers, and that is the first three days after releasing a new video, but according to Visible Measures’ data, that’s as long as they stay in the public’s eye. That’s not the case for YouTube, however, which manages to still account for 51 percent of a video’s views even a week after its launch, and 63 percent after three months.
Image Source: The Silver Ink

Subscribe to our Magazine, and enjoy exclusive benefits

Subscribe to the online magazine and enjoy exclusive benefits and premiums.

[wpforms id=”133″]